06 January 2011

breithlá sona

it's my opinion that everyone should celebrate their birthday in IRE. and the celebration should include dinner at annie's.

last night, mom and i drove into cork, picked dad up from work and then were off to annie's for my birthday dinner. we were greeted warmly by bruno and cahil. after a short chat, we went to sit down at our table but stopped to visit with the usual suspects: frank, timm and dominic, who were seated near the end of the bar. they all wished me a happy birthday and wanted to know how old i was and 'where is emily?' their memories of my cousin, who was in IRE with my for my birthday last year, greatly impressed me.

dad had ordered a bottle of Chateau Du Vieux Parc, a wine originally introduced to annie's by bruno, and it was waiting for us as we sat down at the table. outstanding! we each ordered a starter: a hot and cold plate for dad, mussels for mom and crispy squid for me. nothing was disappointing. our mains included: seafood couscous for dad, organic red pepper stuffed with goat cheese and tabouleh for mom and monk fish on a bed of chorizo, chick peas and spinach for me. gorgeous!!

dessert was waiting for us at home: spongecake with creme and fruit, made fresh at the little food shop next to cronin's. and more vino, of course! mom made a beautiful fire in the fireplace while dad had me open a birthday present. earrings from enibas, a jewelry store in kinsale. stunning.

dad wandered off to bed around 11 and mom and i enjoyed the fire until just after midnight; soaking up every last minute of my birthday. a perfect end to a perfect day.

1 comment:

  1. my kids have asked if they can have 2 sets of parents; they like their first set fine, but if your mom & dad would consider adoption...

    ReplyDelete